June 21, 2009

All you need is cash

Wouldn't it be awesome to have an interactive C++ shell? It's probably best to pay me no mind, because I'm pretty new to the concepts, and I'm speaking from enthusiasm rather than experience... but lately I've been doing a lot of testing of the DynamixelNetwork library using a rudimentary C++ program that's nothing but a few 'cin's, a switch statement, and some function calls. I have to recompile it every time I want to test something new, which makes it very difficult to test a variety of things at once. I'd love to just cut out the middleman, and type the function calls directly at the command line. In this project that wouldn't be much of a problem, although I can see how trying to build a general-purpose shell to handle every function of C++ could pose some difficulties. But it would be a neat utility, if only just for simple testing, wouldn't it?
I've been getting interested in learning Python lately, and today took the first step and found out that Python does indeed have an interactive environment available. And according to Wikipedia, it interfaces well with C++ code (among others). I'm not quite sure how to do it yet... but I think I might try to hack something together. Wait... isn't "hack" more commonly paired with "apart"...?

No comments:

Post a Comment